There’s nothing that gets me out of bed like coffee. I can’t even think of prying my eyes open until the aroma of a bold roast comes wafting into my bedroom. Imagine those cartoons when the character is dead asleep and smells something amazing and goes floating, eyes closed, into the kitchen… that’s me every single morning.
Much like a hot mugful of coffee gets me out of bed in the morning, a chilled glass of cold brew can keep me from crashing back into bed during that midday slump.
This cold brew couldn’t be easier to make. It’s even easier than pulling up your app, placing a mobile order, and running down to your corner Starbucks.
It might take a little longer, but a few simple ingredients makes a huge batch of coffee that will last you all week long for a fraction of the cost of your daily Starbucks run.
Cold Brew Ingredients
- 1 Cup Dark Roast Coffee, ground
- 4 Cups Filtered Water, divided
Cold Brew Instructions
- Pour the coffee grounds into a big bowl and pour 2 cups of water in. Using a whisk, combine grounds and water until all the grounds are wet.
- Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Allow coffee to brew for 8- 12 hours.
- Place a mesh strainer over a bowl to strain the contents when the coffee is done brewing. For an extra precaution against coffee grounds, line the strainer with cheesecloth. Using a spatula, press the grounds into the cheesecloth-lined strainer do get every bit of moisture out.
- Pour the cold brew concentrate into a container (a growler, jug, or recycled juice bottle work great) and add another 2 cups of filtered water. If you want stronger coffee, add less water. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
To prepare a cup of cold brew, add ice and cold brew to a glass. Even with the 2 cups of water added in the final step, the coffee is pretty strong. I usually add some oat milk and a bit of sweetener. If you like black coffee but don’t want it quite as strong, add in more water.
If you want to spice up your cold brew game, there are a few additions you can make when adding the grounds and coffee:
- Mocha – Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- Cinnamon – Add 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon.
- Sweetened – Add 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Pumpkin Spice – Add 1 tablespoon of pumpkin spice blend.
I hope you enjoy this super easy recipe, and even more importantly ,the endless amount coffee you can make literally while you sleep!
I’d love to hear your feedback on this one in the comments below! And if you make it, make sure you tag me on Instagram! ❤️