Is there any better than celebrating with champagne? YES! Celebrating with Champagne cake!
My Champagne + Almond cake combines the subtle flavor of champagne with the sweet and creamy taste of almond. There is no better pair than these two!
In order to get the champagne flavor of this cake, I boil champagne (I use Extra Dry, but you can play around with it and try other types of sparkling wines) down to a concentrate. This gives the cake a very subtle flavor, so in order to pump up the champagne flavor a tad, I also add LorAnn Oils Sparkling Wine Flavoring (it should be available at craft stores, but you can also buy it on Amazon).
As for the buttercream, I add a lot more almond extract than I would add if I was making a vanilla buttercream. It is a very subtle flavor, but I really want it to stand out, so I add a LOT. I also add a lot more heavy cream and whip it up for a while so the buttercream becomes light and airy like champagne bubbles ☺️
Champagne Cake Ingredients:
- 3/4 Cup Butter, softened
- 1 3/4 Cups Sugar
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Champagne Concentrate*
- 1/2 Teaspooon Sparkling Wine Flavor
- 2 1/4 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
*Champagne Concentrate = boil 2 Cups of champagne over medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Champagne will reduce by approximately half and thicken slightly. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl or measuring cup and place in the fridge to cool. The concentrate doesn’t need to be cold to use, but it needs to be cooled so it doesn’t scramble the eggs. If it is too hot to touch, it needs to cool longer.
Champagne Cake Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare pans — grease and flour cake pans or line cupcake pans.
- Cream together butter and sugar until ingredients are incorporated (about 1 minute).
- Add egg whites and mix for another 2-3 minutes, until fluffy.
- Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl. In another bowl, mix remaining liquid ingredients.
- Turn mixer on low and alternate mixing wet and dry ingredients until just incorporated. Don’t overmix!
- Pour into prepared pans and bake.
- When cake is done, it should be golden on top and when a toothpick is inserted, it should come out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then loosen edges with a knife or spatula and turn cakes out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- 1 – 9×13 (35-40 minutes)
- 2 – 9″ rounds (35-40 minutes)
- 3 – 8″ rounds (20-25 minutes)
- 24 cupcakes (20-25 minutes)
Almond Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 Cup Butter, softened
- 6 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Almond Extract
- 5 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
Almond Buttercream Frosting Instructions:
- Whip butter with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Mix on low until incorporated, then mix on medium-low for 3-4 minutes or until frosting becomes light and fluffy.
- This makes approximately 5 cups of frosting… plenty for the above cake recipe!
I also sometimes add white sugar pearls or edible glitter. The cake is very simple and elegant looking, so I like to have fun with the decorations.
If you make this, please make sure to tag or DM me on Instagram so I can see how it turned out!