The thing about hot cocoa is that there’s no bad time for it (I will 100% drink hot cocoa in the summer), and it’s pretty customizable, making there a perfect cocoa for everyone.
We went hard on cocoa this winter. We made cocoas with different milks and flavors ranging from cinnamon to peppermint. One of our favorites was this very grownup version with sweet and salty butterscotch flavored with rum… yum!
This is a recipe for two, but it can easily be multiplied. The butterscotch can be stored in an airtight container for a week, and if you don’t use it all in your hot cocoa, it tastes great drizzled on just about anything.
Boozy Butterscotch Ingredients:
- 1/4 Cup Cold Butter
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar (I use light brown sugar, but dark with also work)
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Rum (I use dark spiced rum)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Add butter, heavy cream, brown sugar, and salt to a pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Continue to boil and stir until the sauce becomes thick, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in vanilla and rum. The sauce will become thick again as it cools.
Hot Cocoa Ingredients:
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 4 Tablespoons Boozy Butterscotch, divided (plus more for optional garnish)
- Marshmallows or Whipped Cream (optional)
- Add milk, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt to a pan. Heat pan over medium heat and whisk ingredients together. After a few minutes of whisking, the mixture should be smooth.
- Continue stirring the mixture as it heats. Scrape sides and bottom of the pan so the milk does not scorch. When steam is rising from the pan and small bubbles are forming on the sides, remove from heat (if you let it come to a boil, it will scorch!).
- Get two mugs and pour 2 Tablespoons of Boozy Butterscotch into each. Divide hot cocoa between the two mugs and stir to incorporate the butterscotch.
- Top with marshmallows or whipped cream and an additional drizzle of butterscotch.
- If you want an extra boozy mug full of cheer, add an additional 1/2-1 teaspoon of rum.
Let me know how you like this one by leaving me a comment or tagging me on Instagram so I can share your boozy mug shot!